Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Sanctuary

Today I realised why I had been blogging a lot less. Of course there is the obvious lack of time and energy when work becomes a full time prospect but there is also less quiet, still time to just notice those everyday marvels that I used to feel so compelled to record.
Due to the disease (whose name we will not mention today for I am cross with it)- I have spent a lot of this week lying on my back in an endone haze. Monday I had some reconstructive surgery which is all good and fine and dandy, then I read a whole book Tuesday, much of which I may not remember, and Wednesday I walked to my neighbour's for a cuppa and leg stretch- quite limited activity for a gadabout like myself.

Today Shorty and I were alone in a quiet house...like the olden days of yore when it was just her and I... everyday. We decided to do one of our favourite girl things together.


 "Down the back" is getting less and less use from the older offspring as they tend to use out the front more with their own friends and a little more independence. Down the back has languished a little since the Year of Chunders.


The giant ginger plant that sheltered and fed the ladies with all manner of bugs and lizards has shrivelled to dry stumps in the drought but the recent rains has sent new shoots popping out all over.
The ladies scratch around in relative chicken luxury under a bower of red hibiscus and taller natives.


The ladies' garden is back on track with egg production back to where it once was and the rain tank being full enough to get water down there.


That will help with getting these dormant old vege patches back into action. They died off and dried out when I lost the energy and will to tend to them in the Y.O.C. (Lets just call it YOK from now!)
I'm thinking that stump of gum tree left over from the 2008 Gap storms would be good as a stool or table up the front. Too rustique? It will be considered.



Back in the cubby there are residual shells and stones from the beach holidays of years past and dingly dangly stuff from when the bigg-uns were wee-uns. All these things hold their own memories and make me smile.


 Sitting, having a cup of tea, while Shorty Divine makes glitter sand cakes and chatters along with the cockatoos and chickens is like a restorative salve. I feel my back unknotting, my mind clearing and the anaesthetic residue wafting away on the warm, spring breeze. It's not New York or Straddy but it is my sanctuary above the chooks in the cubby with a cup of tea and my baby. Things are looking up.


Sing it, Johnny!


16 comments:

  1. Enjoy your sanctuary Annie. That disease that cannot be named just keeps on giving doesn't it?!?
    My thoughts are with you ... wishing you well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just gave again the day after this post Fiona and I am becoming quite weary of it. Thanks for your heartfelt wishes always. x

      Delete
  2. I'm glad the surgery went well, I think blogs mean different things at different times and it's ok to scale up or down depending on what's happening, grab those still moments whilst you can! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so good to have some time off and smell the chickens so to speak. I'm hoping to scale down with work next year - less fun, more money but more importantly less hours.

      Delete
  3. Glad to see a shorty is still giving tea parties. Look after yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless her cotton socks...she is always up for happy banter and tea. It's hard not to feel up around such chirpiness.

      Delete
  4. Thinking of you dear Annie. It's amazing the healing power of fresh air, sunshine and the chatter of chooks. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And laughter. I have decided I need to go to more comedy shows and just laugh like a loon for the endorphins. Do you think Medibank Private would spring for the tickets?

      Delete
  5. All of your home based activities seem to be stress free and relaxing, I am sure we could all do with more of that in our lives. Take it easy and enjoy the peace, look after yourself as you cope with last term.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Work is the easiest place to be right now. It is so busy I don't think too much about the other stuff but my energy levels are taking a while to reboot this time.

      Delete
  6. The surgery/endone part aside it sounds rather heavenly. What a pity it took the one to beget the other. We all move too fast through life, maybe more slow should be a new governement initiative, like five a day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the never ending story part of it all that I am so fatigued. No doubt you are very much aware of the tedium of the doctors etc etc.... Teahouse treehouse is the best remedy I've found for a while.

      Delete
  7. Not too rustic(que) at all Annie. Move that stool/table/stump up front (get one of your boys to carry it for you). It's lovely.
    I miss the days I spent playing with my girlies when they were little, pushing them higher and HIGHER! on the swing, whole afternoons spent lying on a blanket on the back lawn watching them play and drinking cups of (pretend) tea...those were the (good old) days.
    Take care Annie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just found another stump around the side of the house too. He must have spread them out after the SES left. Gnome homes. I need to factor the cubby tea in at least once a week.

      Delete
  8. Time is all going so fast. I hope you get a tea party in this long weekend, and some reading, resting, all the pleasant stuff. Your garden is beautiful. We were due to go camping, but canned that idea this morning due to the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I now own a business of my own with the help of Elegantloanfirm with a loan of $900,000.00 USD. at 2% rate charges, at first i taught with was all a joke until my loan request was  process under five working days and my requested funds was transfer to me. am now a proud owner of a large business with 15 staffs working under me. All thanks to the loan officer Russ Harry he is a God sent, you can contact them to improve your business on.. email-- Elegantloanfirm@hotmail.com.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are the best bit. Drop in if you have time. You are most welcome!

Popular Posts