Thursday, April 17, 2014

The Ghost of Easters Past

So here we are at Easter already. 
Another year is speeding by like a 15 year old bombing a sick hill on his Bustin Mechanic. 
(Trans. :- boy skateboarding with unnecessary speed down a steep bitumen road.) Note how I try to fit in with the local dialect around here?

This year I feel very happy to see Easter. 

Two years ago I came home from hospital on Easter Sunday. Two days ago I got a big pat on the back and congratulations from my surgeon for getting to the third year and past the danger zone. I'm laying both arms firmly on wood as I type this.
Last year I kept remembering the year before. This year I'm celebrating being here on THIS day regardless of what the future brings. 
There have been no beautiful crafty Easter things unless you count the fifty or so roboturkeys made with year 8's before the holidays. I glazed mine in a pseudo Bitossi orange but didn't get it out of the kiln in time for this Easter.

Next year.


It's been good to enjoy home without the rush of school lunches and the guilt of after school care.
We've done a lot in two weeks. The small one has taken to having a brekkie tea some days with me out the front with the nanna tea set.


We have loitered around GOMA a lot and been back to see the animal sculptures in the Falling Back to Earth exhibition more than once. If you're local it is well worth the visit just for the serenity of that blue lake and the photo opportunities.

BYO animal.


 It's free for all the under 13's which makes it very economical for such a big exhibition. While you're there, the upper level houses an eclectic exhibition of all the State year 12 finalists for the Excellence in Art Award in 1013. If there's one thing kiddos will look at in an art gallery, it's other kiddos' art.



Like many valiant parents, I also survived the Lego movie. There were bits I laughed out loud at, others I felt intimately familiar with and parts where the five year old was burrowing her face into my shoulder in response to the sensory overload. SO many spots! If you did it in 3D or LSD, I respect but do not envy you.


None of this is very Easterish. In fact the only Easterish thing around here is the stash of eggs in the Big-High-Cupboard. It's been more about seeing some truly good friends, hanging out with my children and family, making memories and enjoying this beautiful city. The weather is sublime, the company even warmer and the next year lies undiscovered and full of hope and new life.

Happy Easter to you all!



6 comments:

  1. You can't up and change one of your children's names from Shorty Divine to The Small One. It doesn't make me smile quite the same when reading it ;) Happy Easter gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, Kimmie. It depends on my mood and how she's behaving that day! She will always be SHorty Divine in this house although she is getting longer of late.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it Annie! I always liked viewing the Year 12 Art, "Art Express" I think they called it in NSW back in the day.....congratulations on your good news from the surgeon, that is the best news. Mel x

    ReplyDelete

Comments are the best bit. Drop in if you have time. You are most welcome!

Popular Posts