Sunday, May 11, 2014

Post 'Mud' Post

Well it didn't explode or crumble into ash and shards.


Instead it resembles a large slab of fettucine in an invisible bowl. 
 You will note the silver Saltwater sandals in the lower right corner. The Saltwater shop near us is shutting down so they were all marked way down. They only had silver ones left. What else could I do? They needed a home.


Meanwhile, back at the fettucine slab... having never worked with oxides before, I had a little play and slopped a wash of cobalt carbonate over the whole thing. Then I wiped it back and put it in the kiln overnight to see what would happen.



The best thing about doing these experiments is the sheer unknown of the alchemy of it all. 
Now what do I do with it? It may end up in the garden with the ceramic skulls and busts and masks. One day in a millennium or so the eclectic midden will be unearthed and they'll wonder what on earth it was all for.


 This one was a little experiment with leftover bits of clay...


that turned into quite a handy Mothers' Day gift for the best little Mother in Law in the West-ern suburbs.


Another one was dubbed a salt pig and spoon for my own marvellous Mum. She used it for the Mothers' Day "counting" where we all convened to eat, reminisce and recover from Eurovision.


The fish was for the birthday brother who likes fishing, of course.


This Mom song was played for us at Shorty's prep Mother's Day gala girls' night out. (Last week was quite the busy one.)

It never gets old and makes me laugh out loud and every word of it is true.

Happy Mothers' Day to all who mother!

6 comments:

  1. You're so talented - I love them all. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. We revisited that song this Mother's Day too ... never gets old! My kids are at an age now where they too thought it quite hilarious, and perhaps rather close to home!
    Love all your glorious artwork and hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It worked!!! It does look like a Fettucine bowl, and I especially love that little bowl you gave your Mum. Nice to see the Mom song still doing the rounds, what a classic :-) Happy belated Mother's Day! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the fettucini bowl. Imagine tiles made like this and put onto a garden wall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm liking all three bowls. Given the fish I had the words to When the Boat Comes In (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utkMQJeiK50) playing in my head until I clicked through to the Mom Song. Can you believe I've never heard that before ... loved it though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Remarkable...I was suprised that it ''held'' as I imagine after the paper turned to ash (I presume that's what happened) that you would have had some very very fine layers of ceramic. Meanwhile, I love that you used the word exoskeletal.!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are the best bit. Drop in if you have time. You are most welcome!

Popular Posts