Thursday, May 1, 2014

Mud

You know that feeling where you just have a crazy little buzz and everything feels a bit too hectic. That's when I start gnawing nails, or culling or rearranging rooms . Sometimes it an avoidance strategy to avoid an unpleasant task (e.g. laundry) or thinking about something of a looming nature (e.g. surgery) . It keeps me awake some nights and wakes me from sleep on others. Yesterday it crept into my happy place at work...

so I played with mud.

There is a great deal to be said for the joy of mud which is probably why children are so drawn to it. I've had mine swimming it from when they were little but I doubt they'd deign to undertake such a thing nowadays- except if there's a ball involved to disguise the primal joy of mud wallowing. 

So I got some mud- clean, pretty, white porcelain  mud  that had gone hard in the bottom of a bucket.
It needed a swish around with some water and a big potato masher type of thing.


There was a ridiculous amount of shredded paper packed around some ink that came the other day. I knew it would come in handy.  A generous nest of it was immersed and squished around in the mud. (Yes, of course, it was clay slip but for therapeutic reasons I prefer to call it mud today.)


The whole gooey mess was quickly slopped into a big bowl shaped mould and gently coaxed into a convex shape.


Then, after a deep and satisfying sigh, I left it to dry. It was worth doing just to see the faces of the boys walking past. A lot of them do NOT like getting dirty.
I'll fire it when it dries and see if it becomes something or whether it was just a cathartic bit of fun.
The paper should all burn out leaving the exoskeleton of the clay. A bit of alchemy, a dash of mystery. Good times!


12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It was all I could do to not smear it on my face!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. So do I! It's strange putting it in and shutting the kiln door then waiting a couple of days before opening the magician's box to find something different.

      Delete
  3. Can't wait to see how that muddy nest evolves, hadn`t even thought about the fact that the paper would disappear!
    Too consumed with the knowledge that there exist boys who DON`T like getting dirty!
    Hope things settle for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did it with a woolly knitted thing last year and that worked so here's hoping for the same effect!

      Delete
  4. Also can't wait to see end result, love the fact that pottery is sometimes half magic......good fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love going home for the week end and coming in to find something transformed in the kiln on Monday morning!

      Delete
  5. You know how the song goes Annie: "Mud, mud, glorious mud, there's nothing quite like it for cooling the blood" x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it Annie! Can't wait to see the result....I'm guessing it will be super delicate id the paper disintegrates? Fascinating stuff! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm finally finding five minutes to catch up with everyone.

    Nothing beats a jolly good wallow in mud or clay. Looking forward to seeing this fired already.

    Hope the world's treating you well m'dear.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are the best bit. Drop in if you have time. You are most welcome!

Popular Posts