There may have been a few days last week.
In the big picture though we have to be very content with this version of Winter.
A little snow would be nice from time to time but there are always planes for that.
What I love about a winter holiday at the beach in Queensland:
1. Children sleep in with the late morning light and go straight to the beach.
2. Children stay on the beach all day where they can swim and sunbathe and play without frying like pork crackling under a tropical sun.
3. Yes, they can swim- even longer with a spring wet suit which is half price because it is pretend Winter.
4. Long, golden afternoon shadows on almost empty beaches.
4. Easy dinners of stew and fish curry and, that family stalwart, spag bog, because it is cold and they are ravenous and there are beaten up old pots in the holiday house which are nice to cook in.
5. Children go to bed early as they have been on the beach ALL day and it gets dark early. Blissful quiet nights for parents.
|The song we danced to at our wedding was Moon River- Andy Williams, of course.|
Give me a warm winter night at the beach any day over a sweltering sweaty summer one with mozzies and humidity and sunburn. It must be the Danish blood in me acting up.